Get Job Search Help (PACE)
Searching for part-time jobs or internships—online and off—can be frustrating. Depending on where you look, you may feel like there are too many or too few options. But with the right preparation, you can find the jobs that interest you.
Start your job or internship search by defining clearly what you’re looking for. Identify your career goals and interests before you start looking, and the process will become a lot easier. Ask yourself the following questions before you start looking:
- What do I want to do?
- What skills and interests do I have?
- For whom do I want to work?
- In what location do I want to work?
- What types of positions are available?
- For what kinds of work am I available (i.e. part-time, full-time, internship, on-campus, off-campus, etc.)?
Armed with these answers, you’re now ready to begin your job search. Conduct a successful search by utilizing both online (Jobs4Cats, on-campus recruiting, job-posting sites, company websites, LinkedIn and others) and offline (job fairs as well as mentors, supervisors, community college instructors, co-workers, friends, parents, and other contacts) sources. Not sure where to start? You could:
- Log into Jobs4Cats to check out job and internship listings and see upcoming job fair and on-campus recruiting schedule
- Get the latest industry, career information and links to many popular job-posting sites on the Career Services Resources page
- Figure out what you want to do by hearing from the professionals who do it at Candid Career
- Brush up on your interviewing skills--without ever leaving your computer--by using Interview Stream
- Learn about many aspects of the job search by browsing our informative handouts
- Utilize our Job Search Log (download the Excel spreadsheet here) to keep track of your search, networking contacts, interviews and more
- Set up an appointment with a PACE career counselor to determine your first steps
It’s never too early to start your search!